We all want glowing, radiant, healthy-looking skin. To achieve this, many people turn to creams, serums, masks, and other DIY methods. However, even if you are loyal to a thorough at-home skin care routine, your complexion could still benefit from treatments that only a skilled esthetician can perform.
Dermaplaning is one such treatment that we offer at the Office of Dr. Robert S. Feins. Here are the 10 things that you need to know about this facial rejuvenation treatment.
1. It is an effective method of mechanical exfoliation. During a dermaplaning facial, our esthetician will gently guide a scalpel across the surface of your skin. This provides mechanical (physical) exfoliation, as opposed to chemical exfoliation. Exfoliation gets rid of dead skin cells that can build up, clogging your pores and making your skin look dull. In fact, dermaplaning can exfoliate more evenly than other mechanical methods such as scrubs.
2. It removes facial hair. The scalpel removes vellus hair, which is short, thin, and often translucent. Vellus hair is also referred to as peach fuzz or baby hair and it can often be seen when you look closely at your cheeks, chin, and forehead.
3. Your hair will not be coarser when it grows back. Some people worry that removing facial hair will cause it to grow back thicker. That is not true, regardless of if you wax, thread, or use another hair removal method such as dermaplaning.
4. It can be used on all skin types. Dermaplaning can be beneficial for all skin types. This treatment can improve a variety of concerns including dry skin, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles. However, our esthetician may advise you to postpone your treatment if you have active, inflamed acne.
5. It does not hurt. Though the use of a sharp scalpel may sound a bit intimidating, dermaplaning is painless.
6. It can be done during your lunch break. Dermaplaning treatments take approximately 40 minutes and there is no downtime. This means that you can easily incorporate dermaplaning into your busy schedule. Since your hair will eventually grow back and dead cells will re-accumulate, additional appointments can help you maintain the best results.
7. Your makeup application can improve after treatment. Since dermaplaning removes the vellus hair from your face, you will likely notice an improvement in the application and appearance of any makeup that you apply.
8. It allows your skincare to penetrate deeper. Your skincare routine may be more effective after dermaplaning because the products that you apply will not be blocked by dead skin cells.
9. You will need to perform some aftercare. While sun protection is always important, it is crucial after a dermaplaning treatment. The deeper layers of your skin will be exposed and more susceptible to sun damage.
10. You should not do it yourself. While at-home kits and YouTube tutorials do exist for dermaplaning, it is better to trust a trained professional. If your blade is dull or your technique is poor, you may end up doing more harm than good. Estheticians offer the safest and most precise dermaplaning treatments.
Schedule A Skin Care Consultation
To learn more about how dermaplaning can improve the tone and texture of your skin, please call 603-647-4430 to schedule a consultation. We happily welcome patients from Manchester, Nashua, and nearby areas of New Hampshire.