A prominent symbol of femininity, your breasts can be an important aspect of your body image and self-esteem. Breast augmentation can enhance the fullness and shape of your breasts, providing you with the silhouette you desire and the confidence you deserve.
If you would like to learn more about breast augmentation, please contact us today by completing the form on this page or calling 603-647-4430 to schedule a personal consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Robert S. Feins. We proudly welcome patients from the Manchester, Nashua and all of southern New Hampshire.
Click on the following links for specifics about breast enhancement:
- Benefits of Breast Augmentation
- Customizing Your Breast Augmentation
- Types of Breast Implants
- What Is a Keller Funnel?
- Choosing the Best Implant Shape for You
- Incision Types
- Where Is the Breast Implant Placed?
- How Long Do Breast Implants Last?
- How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
- Breast Augmentation Recovery
- Schedule Your Consultation!
Breast enhancement can make a dramatic impact on more than just the size of your breasts. By providing you with a more balanced and proportionate body contour, the procedure can improve your overall appearance and self-confidence.
Breast augmentation can provide a number of practical and aesthetic benefits, including:
- Improved shape of the breast
- More attractive cleavage
- Restoration of diminished breast volume due to aging, weight loss or pregnancy
- Correction of breast asymmetry
- Improved breast projection
- Improved appearance in your clothes and bathing suit
- Expanded wardrobe options
Dr. Feins values your individuality, and will take time during your consultation to understand your unique goals. By educating you on all of your options, he helps you make an informed decision about which option is best for your needs, budget and lifestyle.
Dr. Feins never takes a one-size-fits-all approach to breast augmentation. If you desire larger, fuller, more attractive breasts, it’s important that the procedure is customized to match your body and lifestyle.
The first step to designing a look that is tailored to your expectations is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Feins. During your initial visit, you will communicate your aesthetic goals and Dr. Feins will thoroughly explain the options that are best for you. Many patients elect to combine their breast augmentation surgery with a breast lift to maximize their results. Ultimately, the decision is yours. Once you and Dr. Feins are aligned on your priorities, he will craft a procedure designed specifically for you.
Your breast augmentation options will include:
- Breast implant size
- Breast implant shape
- Breast implant material
- Breast implant placement
- Incision location
Each of the options above has its own advantages and disadvantages. Dr. Feins will discuss all the factors you’ll need to weigh before making your final decision.
Beautiful, natural-looking breasts are the goal for any breast augmentation procedure. Determining the ideal size and shape of your breasts is a very personal decision. Fortunately, at the Office of Robert S. Feins, M.D., F.A.C.S. you have a variety of breast implant options to choose from.
- Saline implants: For women with mild depletion of breast fat and tissue, saline implants may be an ideal option. Often chosen for safety reasons, these implants are filled with a sterile saltwater solution that will not harm your body if they rupture. Saline implants require small incisions because they are filled with a saline solution after they are placed. These implants are less expensive and have a lower risk of complications.
- Silicone implants: Silicone is often the best option for women with a more pronounced loss of breast volume. These FDA-approved implants comprise a silicone shell filled with a cohesive silicone gel material. Silicone implants are often chosen for their smooth, realistic feel, greater durability and lowered risk of rippling and rupture.
- Gummy bear implants: The most-recent breast implant option to receive FDA approval, “gummy bear” implants are made from a versatile, teardrop-shape, form-stable silicone gel that maintains its contours remarkably well. These implants come in a diverse range of sizes, shapes and textures, which allow them to be highly customized to your unique goals and anatomical structure.
- Fat Transfer: Breast augmentation with fat transfer, also called fat grafting, is an effective alternative to traditional implants for patients who would like to enhance the size and shape of their breasts. This option involves the transfer of a patient’s own fat, typically from the tummy, thighs or flanks (love handles). The fat is extracted with a special liposuction technique, cleaned, and injected into the breast site.
Dr. Feins uses the Keller Funnel for many of his breast augmentation procedures. Approved by the FDA in 2009, the Keller Funnel is a silicone implant delivery tool that allows Dr. Feins to propel an implant into the surgical pocket without touching the implant. The benefits of the Keller Funnel method include:
- Smaller incision size
- Reduced risk of complications
- Less friction
- Gentler delivery
Determining which breast implant shape is best for you depends on your anatomy and ideal body image. The two main breast implant shapes are round and anatomical (teardrop implants).
Round Implant Features:
- Round, symmetrical shape
- No malformation of breast shape if the implant rotates within the breast pocket
- Surfaces come in textured or smooth
- Generally less expensive than teardrop-shaped implants
Anatomical/Teardrop Implant Features:
- Originally designed for natural-looking breast reconstruction, now popular for cosmetic augmentation
- Adds volume to the lower part of the beasts
- Creates appearance of more natural curve
Every patient has unique needs and the type of incision you choose will depend greatly on your personal preferences. The type of breast implant you use will also impact the best incision placement for your procedure. Dr. Feins will conduct a thorough physical examination, explain your options and offer his professional recommendation.
With more than years of surgical experience, Dr. Feins is skilled at performing most incision types, but the most common options are:
- Inframammary incision: These incisions are made in the breast crease that occurs when a woman’s arms are resting down at her sides. It is a very small incision right where the skin folds under the breast.
- Transaxillary incision: This incision is made in the armpit area, and the breast is accessed from a side angle. Many patients appreciate the fact that the transaxillary incision produces no visible scarring around the breast area.
In addition to determining your ideal type of breast implant and incision location, you will also need to choose the implant placement that best meets your needs. The two main placement options for breast implants are submuscular (below the pectoral muscle) and subglandular (above the muscle and below the gland).
- Submuscular implant placement: Since the implant rests beneath the chest muscle, the outlines of the implant are generally less noticeable. This type of implant placement tends to cause less interference with mammogram test readings.
- Subglandular implant placement: Some women choose a subglandular implant placement because they prefer the way the implant rests directly beneath the skin of the breast. Depending on the quality and amount of a patient’s existing breast tissue, implant definition may be more pronounced with subglandular placement.
The implant placement option that is best for you depends on a number of factors, such as the size and type of the implant, as well as your desired result. Dr. Feins will discuss the benefits of each option during your personal consultation.
Breast augmentation results are long-term, but not necessarily permanent. It is reasonable to expect your implants to last anywhere from 10 to 25 years. Your own results can be affected by factors such as:
- Capsular contracture
- Implant rupture
- Sagging breast tissue caused by age
- Sagginess caused by excessive weight gain
- Rippled implant
Breast augmentation is remarkably safe. Millions of women across the world undergo the procedure without any complications. Through years of experience, Dr. Feins has honed his technique and optimized each step of the procedure to maximize safety and the quality of your results.
Like any surgical procedure, there are inherent risks. Breast augmentation in particular carries the risk of implant rupture. If a saline implant does rupture, your body will naturally absorb the saline. In addition, your breast will noticeably change size and shape. In the event of a silicone implant rupture, the shell will need to be surgically removed and replaced with another implant.
Dr. Feins' commitment to your safety is paramount. During your consultation, he will discuss potential risks and address any questions or concerns you may have.
Just like any plastic surgery procedure, you get what you pay for. By choosing board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Feins for your breast augmentation, you can rest assured that you are in the best hands.
Board-certification ensures that you are receiving care from a surgeon who has met the rigorous training and education standards of the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). As a result of this distinguished certification, the cost of breast augmentation may be higher than that of a lesser-trained cosmetic surgeon who simply tries to undercut the competition.
The cost of your breast augmentation will vary depending on the type of surgery you choose and the type of implant you select.
Dr. Feins believes that cost should not prevent you from obtaining the body and self-confidence you desire. He will discuss your treatment and financing options so you can find the ideal solution to match your budget and goals.
Once your breast augmentation procedure is completed, you will be immediately fitted with a surgical dressing and surgical bra. The first 48 hours following your surgery will require plenty of rest. You will need to arrange for help with household duties during this time and refrain from showering. After the initial 48 hours, you may remove the surgical dressing and bra, shower, then replace the bra for support.
Several factors are involved with your recovery, such as:
- Following all of Dr. Feins’ postsurgical instructions
- The location of your incisions
- The type of breast implant used in the procedure
- Your body’s natural healing ability
Swelling and discomfort will accompany your recovery. Dr. Feins will provide you with medication to lessen any pain. Swelling gradually reduces over a period of four to six weeks following surgery. You can manage swelling by wearing a support bra and getting plenty of rest. It is helpful to walk several times a day during the first few weeks of your recovery.
Depending on the specific factors of your breast augmentation, you should be able to return to work with a week, but you should wait at least three weeks to perform any strenuous activities. It’s important to keep in mind that recovery varies for each person. It is essential that you consult with Dr. Feins about your own recuperation before resuming your regular exercise and work routines.
If you live in the Manchester or Nashua areas of New Hampshire and would like to learn more about your breast augmentation candidacy and options, please call the Office of Robert S. Feins, M.D., F.A.C.S. today at 603-647-4430 to schedule your personal, confidential consultation.